Monday, May 24, 2010

one day left to live series - 6 months and 25 days

An update on Sripathi. Well for the past couple of days I've been noticing that he is about to have a seizure and when I talk to him and try to get his attention he is able to come out of it. But today though i tried my best he did end up having a seizure but was a very short one say 30 seconds or so. But the process of him about to have a seizure like the eyes pulling away and then coming back to normal was taking place in intervals for almost 4 minutes. So now I'm a little confused if I should consider that period as part of the seizure? But then again his postictale state was very obvious. If his seizure was long or severe he usually goes to sleep for alteast 30 minutes but this time around he did not feel really sleepy. But I'm planning to wait and see how Sripathi is able to handle his seizures before we can contact the neurologist because its otherwise too early to adjust the medication.

Apart from the seizure his therapy is going on, but Miss. Peg is unable to do much once Sripathi starts wailing. He is so uncontrollable. She is advising me to not pick him up too often and try to fnd a better way to soothe him. I'm trying to teach him to use a pacifier but he just wouldn't take one. I'm planning to buy different types of pacifiers and keep trying them hoping he will prefer to take one someday and the sooner the better.

For now I'm trying to workout a schedule or a routine for Sripathi because we lose a lot of time during the day when I could be geting him to do some of the exercises probably spread them throughout the day rather than get him to do it all at one time.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Geetha, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to help Sripathi learn to comfort himself..which all babies have to be able to do...when he has so many health issues! Thanks for leaving a comment about the post on the house. I can only imagine how hard it must be to schedule and plan around a child in your son's situation.

I will say that the home blessing I mentioned...is so great because you can break it up into 15 min. a day. That way your cleaning can be done in little bits. That's the beauty of FlyLady.net. She has you do cleaning in little time segments. Works better than trying to clean for an hour or two at a time!

Do you know when in June you will be here? I'd love to meet you at the hospital and say hello.

By the way, I used to live in Vero Beach, Fl. (for one year). It was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hey Geets,
I am Lavanya Akella ..hve been following ur blog from past fewdays..when I learnt about Sripathi's condition I wanted to call u in person or leave u a detailed mail..but I just want to drop quick few lines here to let u know that you and ur family are in my prayers girl..I wish a speedy recovery for Sripathi and best wishes for ur family. You are a strong mommy and you have wonderful blog out here.. can imagine how difficult it should be for you to go through this but again God has chosen u guys as Sripathi's parents for a reason..I am so proud of u Geets and please let me know if I can be of any help to u da..I would be more than happy to be for u..I am just a phone call and few miles away..and will be following ur blog to continue to pray for Sripathi..

Geetha Srinivasan said...

Thank you Donna and Lavanya for your prayers and blessings.

Lavanya we'll try to catch up sometime over phone. But mail your number to geethz@gmail.com
How is your sister hope her marriage is fixed. I remember that was the last thing we spoke about long back.

Donna said...

Geetha, I got your comment about when you will be in Houston. Sadly, I'll be in Dallas then. My father's house, which I've been in the process of selling, is closing on the 19th, so I and the family have to be in Dallas for that weekend. I'm so sorry I'll miss you. I know my way very well around Texas Children's Hospital and would so much have enjoyed meeting you in person.