Saturday, May 22, 2010

Our Story - part I

Well it was around 4:30 am when I woke up to go to the bathroom. Its quite common when you are 38 weeks pregnant. But the next time around I remember jumping out of the bed as I had a feeling I was peeing in the bed. It was 7:30 am and I rushed to the bathroom. I came back and woke up Aravind and told him "is this how it feels when the water breaks?" He calls the gynecologists answering system. And boy oh boy was I waiting to hear her. Finally after 20 odd minutes the doctor returns the call and I ask her the same question. She told me to use a sanitary pad and check after 30 - 40 minutes to see if the pad is wet. If it is then it means someone is ready to peek into this world soon.


So I use the pad and decide to go for a walk with my dad. Not a nice idea, but I just could not sit. As if we walk, every 3 minutes i was like "maybe I have to check or maybe if I continue to walk it will be fine". Eventually my dad had heard enough so we return home in around 15 minutes. So when I checked things were not unusual so Aravind decides to leave to work and just as he was getting ready to leave I start to feel uneasy, it was like why take a chance and so I decide to be taken to the hospital. Dad, Aravind and I leave to the hospital while my mom is preparing lunch.


As we arrive at the hospital, Aravind asks me to go to the emergency entry and tell the nurse my situation. As i get out of the car, Aravind was like "uh-oh Radhe your pants are really wet". So I'm like still hoping that I'm just leaking pee and not amniotic fluid. I don't want to delivery like this. I cannot accept my water bag breaking. But it was meant to be. The nurse wheels me to the triage room and they test the liquid with some kind of paper, if the color of the paper turns blue it means the liquid is amniotic fluid. I had butterflies in my stomach when I saw the blue tinged paper.



Well this is it then. So I'm in the hospital and the IV was administered to start the pain inducing medication. The medical interventions that i never wanted to experience began. It was all happening exactly the way i never wanted it to happen. I was getting a little depressed. But cheering myself up that it will be over soon, all I want is my baby. I started praying that i deliver soon and go home with my baby. Maybe this is how God intended it to be or maybe my prayers were not fervent.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Thank you for sharing this part of your story Geetha. I'll be reading the rest. So you went to Texas Children's Hospital? I don't live more than an hour from there. I took my teenage son there when he started fainting several times a week. His solution was very simple..drink more water, but we spent a fortune on doctors, eeg's, ekgs, mri's etc. before they figured out what was wrong. If you are ever in the Houston area again, be sure to let me know.

Blessings,
Donna

Shona Cole said...

Geetha, what a honor to be able to read your story. So good that you have God to carry you on this difficult path.
wishing you all the best
shona